Thursday, January 22, 2009

Organizing Files - Paperwork Overhaul!!



Photo courtesy of Peter Skadberg


Moving into a new home creates lots of opportunities to re-organize. Because it is the start of a new year I've decided to tackle my paper files.


I love to organized…repeat… I LOVE TO ORGANIZE, so this is an exciting task for me! I'll be tackling next week (once I can get a refill for our Labeler!) If you wanted to follow along with me I'll be posting some guidelines here and tips to make organizing your paperwork easier.


But first I have to decide … Should I change my ways??


I've been searching around the Blog world to see if there is an easier way to file paperwork. I'm so tired of having so much paper around!


Option #1:
I've realized that most of my bills I pay online also store my statements online, so why should I keep them here? So that would mean that I don't have to keep credit card statements, bank statements, cell phone, phone or electric bills. Hmmm… That kind of makes me nervous, lets move on to option 2


Option #2:
File monthly. Instead of having a file for each individual bill file each bill monthly. All bills paid in January get filed in a "January Bills" file. That way if I need a bill I can just find it in the month that it was paid. This would make filing time so much easier!


Option #3:
Keep filing the way I did last year. I usually file like bills in a single file folder. For example all of our credit card statements go in one file folder, "Credit Cards" instead of having a folder for each individual credit card company. All of our utilities (phone, electric, gas etc) go in one general "Utilities" folder. (photos to come)


Share how you file your paperwork. What system do you use, if any. Do you still have piles of filing to do from last year? Leave a comment below and share you tips!

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! Thanks!

    Alana @
    www.justniftythrifty.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you come help me organize? It is warm here!:)
    Sherrill

    ReplyDelete